Things Not Meant To Be

a short story by Rossi
Autumn had always been Jean Grey-Summers' favourite time of year at the mansion. The way the woods turned to sunset hues, the feel of the air crisp against her skin, the tang of wood smoke... It had been on such an autumn day as this that she had proposed to her now-husband Scott. But today, as she scuffed her way along a deer trail ankle-deep in fallen leaves, that memory only mocked her. All her dreams, her wishes for her marriage had gone, leaving an emptiness in her heart. An emptiness that joined the hollow feeling in her body that had started with Hank's kind, regretful words...

["Jean, Scott . . . I'm sorry, but," Hank took a deep breath and continued, "Jean, you're not pregnant."]

Worse than that, what had truly crushed her hopes, was the flood of relief that had surged down her rapport with Scott. He had been glad she wasn't pregnant. Despite his words to the contrary, he didn't want children, a family of their own. And that realization had cut her in two. She loved Scott, she always had and always would, but she desperately wanted children, someone to raise, to cherish, to love. A gesture of creativity in a world that was all too often marked by destruction. But all that had been taken from her, overwhelmed by his oh-so-reasonable logic.



Things Not Meant To Be continues here...